The Atlantic Free Press shares their encounter with death threats for a writer on the subject of the NRA:
From the Netherlands, the U.K. and Canada the editorial team here at Atlantic and Pacific Free Press wishes you all a wonderful holiday season.
American writer, media analyst and New Yorker magazine alumni A. J. Liebling, 1904-1963 once wrote:
"The function of the press in society is to inform, but its role in society is to make money.”
In the New Age of Media in a New Age of Information this is clearly no longer the case.
The role of Atlantic/Pacific Free Press and others like us that have sprung up on the net is to inform and not to make money. Advertisers or potential advertisers play no part in our editorial decisions. Selling print magazines (circulation) is not going to make or break us.
During a recent head-on collision with the NRA, Atlantic Free Press received many emails from members of the organization who threatened to contact our advertisers and threatened to cancell their subscription to our magazine. I was rather bemused. We do carry ads from progressive companies and organizations via blogads (helps cover the server costs) but to contact them to stop would be rather futile. We don't rely in any way on what advertising we have to exist. Nor do we have a paid subscription service so threats in that department are moot.
There is, frankly, nothing more satisfying as a publisher - not to feel the traditional heat or threats from politicians and advertisers on content that one finds in 'normal' media relationships. We are not slaves to their ethos - and we can reach the people... and do reach a lot of new eyeballs everyday via Google News... the shackles of the past are simply not there today.
I wish you all the best in the year to come.
Some facts about our publications.
- Atlantic and Pacific Free Press are both official Google News Sources which means the works are featured alongside the New York Times, The Guardian, The Independent, the Washington Post and other highbrow mainstream media on a daily basis.
- Atlantic Free Press is syndicated by Newstex.com and appears in Lexis Nexis - therefore available to thousands of viewers worldwide who are in closed networks at their workplace.
- Atlantic Free Press celebrated it's first anniversary in September 2007 with nearly 3000 articles published the first year.
The article which launched the collision was this one by Jayne Lyn Stahl
Published with permission of the Atlantic Free Press.
Censored News Special Edition
- ► 2011 (70)
- ► 2010 (247)
- ► 2009 (91)
- ► 2008 (285)
- Yucca Mountain Deadline approaches, Jan. 10, 2008
- Lakota Freedom Delegation is news around the world...
- Priests, lock down, in the hole, for protesting US...
- Help Alex and Deb White Plume build a new home
- Mohawk Warriors support Lakotas' withdrawl from US
- Atlantic Free Press: When Internet news become dan...
- Desert Rock: Dirty power plant deal keeps getting ...
- Mohawk Nation News: 'Red Ops' spies ousted in Algo...
- Mohawk Nation News: Sinister coverup at Chalk River
- International Migrants Day, Scathing report on US ...
- Protesters enter Hutto prison with toys for children
- NCAI urges Senate probe of US banned pesticides im...
- In honor of Floyd Westerman, photos by Hopi photog...
- Navajo councilmen meet in Las Vegas on power plant...
- Winters Stories of the Southwest, Dec. 15, 2007
- The Gang Rape of our Borderlands
- Next Generation of Indigenous Youths Attend Climat...
- Navajo and Mohawk disappointed with climate talks,...
- Lakota Freedom Delegation to Withdraw from Treatie...
- Ninth Circuit hears defense of Sacred Peaks
- Navajo and Mohawk in Bali challenge World Bank car...
- New security guards oppress at Texas border hearing
- Longest Walk 2008 Route
- Nuclear 'Three Stooges' on Algonquin land
- Free the children of Hutto prison Dec. 16, 2007
- Big Noise Films: Shouting out the truth on Jena, d...
- 'Vigilant Ones,' Navajo group opposes line of cred...
- Indigenous Peoples barred from UN Climate Negotiat...
- Mohawks: US flogging old Washington mule in Latin ...
- Military wives' blogs forced shut down by Canadian...
- Indigenous Peoples speak out on racism and oppression
- ▼ December (31)
Censored News Blog Radio
Donate to Censored News
. Censored News is free of advertising and has no sponsors.
Censored News Homepage
About Censored News
Censored News is published by censored journalist Brenda Norrell. A journalist for 27 years, Brenda lived on the Navajo Nation for 18 years, writing for Navajo Times, AP, USA Today, Lakota Times and other American Indian publications. After being censored and then terminated by Indian Country Today in 2006, she began the Censored Blog to document the most censored issues. She currently serves as human rights editor for the U.N. OBSERVER & International Report at the Hague and contributor to Sri Lanka Guardian, Narco News and CounterPunch. She was cohost of the 5-month Longest Walk Talk Radio across America, with Earthcycles Producer Govinda Dalton in 2008: www.earthcycles.net/
COPYRIGHTS All material is copyrighted by the author or photographer. Please contact each contributor for reprint permission. email@example.com
Audios may not be sold or used for commercial purposes.
"O FRIEND! In the garden of thy heart plant naught but the rose of love, and from the nightingale of affection and desire loosen not thy hold." --Baha'u'llah, Baha'i Faith