From our allies at Corazón de Tucson-- please distribute widely!
Contact Person: Raúl Alcaraz Ochoa
Corazón de Tucson community group
(520) 261-6290, email@example.com
COMMUNITY GROUPS JOIN NATIONAL CAMPAIGN EXPOSING PRIVATE PRISON PROFITEERING
TUCSON- Anti-immigrant laws, like Arizona's SB 1070, are not only a consequence of racism but also a drive for profit. The private prison industry, including Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) and the Geo Group (Geo), is the force behind lobbying efforts that increase penalties and incarcerations by the federal government and by states such as Arizona and Georgia. Their current business plans push for harsher immigrant incarceration policies.
Such policies drive up prison populations and put added strains on state and federal budgets. Increasing prison costs cause cuts in funding for education and health care.
It is a huge business to criminalize and incarcerate people. Those who benefit are companies (shareholders) that invest in the prison industry.
Wells Fargo is one of the largest investors in Geo Group.
This is why we have joined the Prison Industry Divestment Campaign (spearheaded by Enlace, a Los-Angeles-based group) to convince shareholders (banks, hedge funds, etc.) to divest their funds from the prison industry so that we can make an impact on the prison business and reduce the power of CCA and GEO to lobby for laws that imprison our communities.
In Tucson, (on May 14) we will be at Wells Fargo downtown at 4 p.m. followed by a delegation that will go inside to deliver a letter to Wells Fargo management asking them to divest from the prison industry.
Censored News Special Edition
- Líl’wat, St’át’imc UN Permanent Forum New York
- Wikileaks Cables on Mohawks
- Wikileaks: US and Canadian militaries like a marri...
- WIKILEAKS: Border guards feared Akwesasne Mohawks
- Wikileaks Cable: Mohawks Borders, Land Claims, Tre...
- Wikileaks Montreal Cable: Mohawks 2004
- Wikileaks Cable: Mohawks, Kanesatake, May 2004
- UN Global Indigenous Women's Caucus Statement 2011...
- Migrant Trail Press Conference May 30, 2011
- Fronte NorteSur: Indigenous Mexico Resists
- TUCSON: Honoring Martin Luther King: arrested prot...
- Navajos' Crownpoint Chapter House installs solar p...
- New at Censored News May 15, 2011
- TUCSON: Groups join national campaign exposing pri...
- Aboriginal Museum is forced to display evidence of...
- Geronimo: Skull and Bones meeting with Apache Dele...
- Harlyn Geronimo: Codename defames a great human sp...
- San Carlos Apache on Geronimo Codename: Apology an...
- FNS News: Zapatistas Join Drug War Protest
- ▼ May (19)
- ► 2010 (247)
- ► 2009 (91)
- ► 2008 (285)
Censored News Homepage
About Censored News
Censored News is published by censored journalist Brenda Norrell. A journalist for 27 years, Brenda lived on the Navajo Nation for 18 years, writing for Navajo Times, AP, USA Today, Lakota Times and other American Indian publications. After being censored and then terminated by Indian Country Today in 2006, she began the Censored Blog to document the most censored issues. She currently serves as human rights editor for the U.N. OBSERVER & International Report at the Hague and contributor to Sri Lanka Guardian, Narco News and CounterPunch. She was cohost of the 5-month Longest Walk Talk Radio across America, with Earthcycles Producer Govinda Dalton in 2008: www.earthcycles.net/
COPYRIGHTS All material is copyrighted by the author or photographer. Please contact each contributor for reprint permission. firstname.lastname@example.org
Audios may not be sold or used for commercial purposes.
"O FRIEND! In the garden of thy heart plant naught but the rose of love, and from the nightingale of affection and desire loosen not thy hold." --Baha'u'llah, Baha'i Faith