From Big Noise Films, giving censorship a shove
Reports screen on Al Jazeera
We have too many upcoming broadcasts and screenings to list here and have added a calendar to our website so you can check out when we'll be in your area - www.bignoisefilms.org
Another of our reports from Iraq is airing on Al Jazeera this week.
1. THE BATTLE FOR BASRA
Basra is Iraq's economy – its Rumeila oil fields tap one of the largest pools of petroleum in the world, and without its revenues the central government in Baghdad would collapse. This wealth makes Basra the site of a battle for political control between the three largest Shiite parties in Iraq – al-Hakim’s SIIC, Moqtada al-Sadr’s ‘Sadrist Current’, and the Islamic Virtue Party, which controls the Basra governorate and is linked to the Oil Workers' Union. The Battle For Basra explores the power struggle underway in Basra, and what it reveals about the larger battle for control in the new, Shiite-dominated Iraq.
Made with the support of the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting.
(if you like it, post a comment - let them know they need to support this kind of radical investigative work)
2. JENA 6 ROUGH CUT SCREENING (check our calendar for details)
A half-hour rough cut of our upcoming documentary on the Jena Six case will be screening in Washington DC Friday, Nov. 2 at the National Lawyers' Guild Convention. We are excited and honored to announce that film is being narrated by Mumia Abu Jamal.
3. BIG NOISE AT THE FESTIVALS (check our calendar for details)
Deserter - our film about a deserting US soldier who flees across the border to seek refugee status in Canada - is at IDFA in Amsterdam in late November.
The War of 33 - our film that tells the story of the 2006 war in Lebanon through the letters of a mother living through the bombings - is premiering at Beirut DOCUDAYS in early December.
Iraq and other War Shorts - we're showing a collection of our short work at the Beyond TV festival in the UK in early December.
Deserter and The War of 33 - at OVNI in Barcelona in early 2008.
Lebanon Footage Screening in the Lower East Side Thursday, November 1
and more. . .
4. SPRING TOUR
Because of our frenzy of recent production, we have pushed back our tour until April.
To book, Deserter, The War of 33, or our Jena 6 film with the directors in your community or at your university, contact Evil Twin Booking:
215 888 1756 (direct)
215 473 0308 (office)
On AIM and Skype, we are PENETRATRIOT
Censored News Special Edition
- ► 2011 (70)
- ► 2010 (247)
- ► 2009 (91)
- ► 2008 (285)
- Challenge to uranium mining, poisoning water, on L...
- Border wall plans ignore environmental justice rul...
- Weekend in Solidarity with Political Prisoners
- Action alert: Western Shoshone's Sacred Mount Tena...
- NCAI joins NAGPRA Coalition in opposition to Berke...
- Free the imprisoned migrant children of Hutto Texa...
- Amazon Indians versus Big Oil, Greg Palast investi...
- Mohawk Nation News: Ecclesiastical tyranny, coloni...
- Final Report from Indigenous Border Summit 2007
- Violent arrests at Berkeley prayer vigil
- On Big Warm Creek, Living as a Free People
- Photo Lenny Foster sings for Leonard Peltier's fre...
- Blackfire Rocks San Francisco Nov. 13 - 15, 2007
- MNN Blackballs Indian Affairs
- Indigenous Action: Protest animal testing at NAU i...
- Big Noise Films: Jena 6 narrated by Mumia Abu Jama...
- NAGPRA Coalition: Berkeley Museum shows arrogance ...
- ▼ November (17)
Censored News Homepage
About Censored News
Censored News is published by censored journalist Brenda Norrell. A journalist for 27 years, Brenda lived on the Navajo Nation for 18 years, writing for Navajo Times, AP, USA Today, Lakota Times and other American Indian publications. After being censored and then terminated by Indian Country Today in 2006, she began the Censored Blog to document the most censored issues. She currently serves as human rights editor for the U.N. OBSERVER & International Report at the Hague and contributor to Sri Lanka Guardian, Narco News and CounterPunch. She was cohost of the 5-month Longest Walk Talk Radio across America, with Earthcycles Producer Govinda Dalton in 2008: www.earthcycles.net/
COPYRIGHTS All material is copyrighted by the author or photographer. Please contact each contributor for reprint permission. firstname.lastname@example.org
Audios may not be sold or used for commercial purposes.
"O FRIEND! In the garden of thy heart plant naught but the rose of love, and from the nightingale of affection and desire loosen not thy hold." --Baha'u'llah, Baha'i Faith