Private Prison Company GEO Group Indicted for Murder in Texas Prisoner's Death
By Private Corrections Institute
Oct. 24, 2008
Raymondville, Texas – Yesterday, Willacy County District Attorney Juan Guerra filed
a three-count murder indictment against Florida-based GEO Group (formerly known as
Wackenhut Corrections), the nation’s second-largest for-profit prison company.
The grand jury’s two indictments for murder allege the GEO Group, “through its agents
... did intentionally or knowingly cause the death of Gregorio De La Rosa, Jr., ... by
allowing one or more inmates to physically assault the victim ...” while using deadly
weapons. A third indictment for manslaughter states the GEO Group caused the death
of De La Rosa through its employees within the scope of their employment, which
was “authorized, requested, commanded, performed, or recklessly tolerated” by the
Gregorio De La Rosa was incarcerated at a GEO Group-operated facility in Willacy
County when he was brutally murdered by two other prisoners on April 26, 2001. He
was bludgeoned to death with padlocks that had been placed in socks; he was four
days away from completing a six-month sentence for a drug-related offense.
GEO Group staff were reportedly aware that padlocks had been used as weapons in
other assaults prior to De La Rosa’s murder. A lawsuit filed by De La Rosa’s family
claimed that GEO Group employees “had a pattern and practice of allowing beatings
and fights between inmates for money, and a tradition of payback, whereby prisoners
were beaten just before their release." On September 15, 2006, a Willacy County jury
awarded a record $47.5 million in the wrongful death suit against GEO Group.
According to District Attorney Guerra, the problems in private prisons, including those
that result in preventable deaths, “are more than civil matters.” He stated the grand jury
had examined De La Rosa’s murder and determined that the GEO Group should be
held “criminally responsible for the death of this particular inmate.” Guerra noted the
murder indictment will send a clear message to private prison companies that criminal
conduct will not be tolerated; he further observed it is the government’s responsibility
to oversee for-profit prison firms and hold them accountable.
Charlie Cray, Director of the Center for Corporate Policy, said it was “very uncommon”
for companies to be charged with murder or manslaughter, and that criminal charges,
which are often based on the discretion of prosecutors, are only filed in “very egregious”
cases of corporate misconduct.
The Private Corrections Institute (PCI) is a non-profit citizen watchdog organization that
works to educate the public about the significant dangers and pitfalls associated with
the privatization of correctional services. PCI maintains an online collection of news
reports and other resources related to the private prison industry, and holds the position
that for-profit prisons have no place in a free and democratic society. www.privateci.org.
For further information, please contact:
Ken Kopczynski, Executive Director
Private Corrections Institute
1114 Brandt Drive
Tallahassee, FL 32
Alex Friedmann, Vice President
Private Corrections Institute
5341 Mt. View Road #130
Antioch, TN 37013
Censored News Special Edition
- ► 2011 (70)
- ► 2010 (247)
- ► 2009 (91)
- Border Action Network interview, Border Patrol mur...
- Audio: Isabel Garcia: US Border Patrol acts with i...
- Racists yell at family of migrant murdered by Bord...
- Border Patrol agent murder migrant, audio descript...
- Interview: US Border Patrol murders migrant, Spani...
- Indigenousfest in Kayenta on the Navajo Nation Nov...
- Debunking the myth of an economic boom from uraniu...
- Army plans to seize 7 million acres in southeast C...
- Russell Means files election objection with Oglala...
- GEO/Wackenhut charged in prison murder in Texas
- Mohawk Nation News: The Snake at the Door
- Choctaw Ben Carnes serving as coordinator for Leon...
- Denver police action: The bizarre lentil caper
- Mohawk Nation News: 'Trick or Jay Treaty?'
- Flood relief for Jumano Apache on Texas/Mexico bor...
- Roberto Rodriguez: A Big Brother Migrant Solution
- The Disappeared: 589 Honduran migrants
- Joanne Shenandoah in Seattle Oct. 2008
- Signatures needed for migrant and human rights for...
- Red Bear Circle Native Gathering at Bakersfield, C...
- Nahuacalli organizes human rights support for Cauc...
- El Paso: Remembering the dead along the border
- Slick McCain's genocide plan for Navajos
- Protest of US torture training at Fort Huachuca in...
- Wikinews: Bush deploys military in US to control s...
- Canada's 'Three Monkeys Defence' for brutal border...
- Alcatraz Sunrise Gathering, Long Walker photos 200...
- Blackfire and Native Roots Top NAMMY winners
- Mohawk Nation News: The Capitalist Party is Over!
- Call for help! Algonquins at Barriere Lake in Queb...
- In the Spirit of Big Mountain at Alcatraz Island: ...
- David Morgan: 'Fear favors false safety over freed...
- Leonard Peltier: 'I will be moved soon'
- Active duty Army brigade prepared to patrol US str...
- International Indigenous Solidarity, Australia, Oc...
- Stop the Raids Now!
- US created monsters: Zetas and Kaibiles
- Cauca in Colombia protest free trade and Bush-back...
- Tule Elk State Reserve 'Walk for Life' 2008
- Army brigade now in US for 'crowd control'
- Grassroots leaders in Guatemala for Americas Socia...
- Deadly immigration polices: 183 bodies on the bord...
- Ben Carnes: 'What have you done for Leonard Peltie...
- Alcatraz Sunrise Gathering Oct. 13, 2008
- Intertribal Gathering & Elders Dinner California 2...
- Four Directions March Denver 2008 Poster
- Resist Columbus Day in Denver 2008
- The actual owners of the Federal Reserve USA
- An Eagle named Consuelo
- Tohono O'odham family struggling to survive plans ...
- While the Bush regime pillages, the people march a...
- Southwest Weekend to End Torture, November 15-16, ...
- Mohawk Nation News: Intelligence, love and victimi...
- Navajo Wanda MacDonald: McCain is anti-Native
- Carter Camp: Ahmbaska's condition improving
- Under surveillance: El Paso protest of border wall...
- Prison company with highest sex abuse rate has exe...
- Comments: Bailout the People
- Caravan of support to Big Mountain 2008
- ▼ October (59)
Censored News Homepage
About Censored News
Censored News is published by censored journalist Brenda Norrell. A journalist for 27 years, Brenda lived on the Navajo Nation for 18 years, writing for Navajo Times, AP, USA Today, Lakota Times and other American Indian publications. After being censored and then terminated by Indian Country Today in 2006, she began the Censored Blog to document the most censored issues. She currently serves as human rights editor for the U.N. OBSERVER & International Report at the Hague and contributor to Sri Lanka Guardian, Narco News and CounterPunch. She was cohost of the 5-month Longest Walk Talk Radio across America, with Earthcycles Producer Govinda Dalton in 2008: www.earthcycles.net/
COPYRIGHTS All material is copyrighted by the author or photographer. Please contact each contributor for reprint permission. firstname.lastname@example.org
Audios may not be sold or used for commercial purposes.
"O FRIEND! In the garden of thy heart plant naught but the rose of love, and from the nightingale of affection and desire loosen not thy hold." --Baha'u'llah, Baha'i Faith