Department of Homeland Security's ICE agents are still running amok terrorizing Mexican & Central American communities
COLUMN OF THE AMERICAS
A BIG BROTHER MIGRATION SOLUTION
OCTOBER 17, 2008
BY ROBERTO DR. CINTLI RODRIGUEZ
For perhaps at least the past generation, the so-called immigration
debate has been code for scapegoating and getting rid of the
"wetbacks" – which of course in this country is but another code word
for Mexicans. Anybody brown, really. It could be called the hidden
narrative, yet how hidden is it really?
And yet, holding back the "brown hordes" is no longer the primary
issue in regards to this debate. Make no mistake; hundreds of brown
peoples are still dying in the inhospitable deserts, mountains and
rivers along the U.S.-Mexico border. And the Department of Homeland
Security's ICE agents are still running amok terrorizing Mexican &
Central American communities. But the sad reality is that the mere
existence of a "Homeland Security" apparatus tells us that even
something bigger is amiss.
In the efforts to hold back those hordes, government, particularly
since 9-11 of 2001, has minimally mushroomed into a behemoth
bureaucracy, and at worst, has precipitated the creation of a big
government. In other words, the immigration problem is no longer about
"hard-working amigos"; the problem is an ominous and over-bearing Big
All of this has happened under the cover of the "war on terror." While
politicos have distracted the populace with fears of terrorists
sneaking across the southern border – and somehow associating it with
the issue of immigration, illegal or otherwise – government has
created a fear-based society. This has been useful for the purposes of
being able to wage endless, costly and unnecessary wars. It has also
ushered in what novelist Naomi Wolf terms as a coming police state. In
this climate, government has also created or permitted:
• U.S. agencies to spy on virtually anyone – whether through
electronic eavesdropping, internet snooping or cameras on many of the
nation's roads (And a new proposal to create a domestic CIA).
• huge no-fly passenger lists, including enemies lists.
• data bases that track peoples movements, including one for anyone
(not just Mexicans) who cross the border.
• massive walls and fences along the southern border.
• a massive increase in the number of border patrol and Transportation
Security Administration agents
• massive secrecy to become the natural order of government business;
the days of open government and privacy are long behind us.
• the [for-profit] privatization of war, law enforcement and the penal system.
On top of being morally wrong, these developments are highly
secretive, inefficient, extremely costly and non-productive. For
instance, from an economic standpoint, border patrol agents, massive
walls and draconian immigration raids do not create wealth. Despite
this, there is a clamor for more. Nowadays, those same demand exists
and will increasingly get louder throughout the country. After 2,000
miles of walls go up along the U.S./Mexico border – in the name of
equality – look for demands for the northern border to also be
walled. It is amazing what people will surrender in the name of fear.
Brown peoples have always lived this reality, regardless of where
they/we live. However, it is highly probable that soon, all people in
this country will have to repeatedly prove their legal right to be in
this country. While the government has been doing nothing about
immigration, contrarily, it has been moving fast on creating this
draconian apparatus to divide up everyone into legal and illegal
populations. How far off are we from living in a moated and checkpoint
This is where the expression, "careful what you wish for," is most
appropriate. A police state is the unintended consequence of demands
to seal the border. Police states do not discriminate. Once
entrenched, a police state will do whatever is necessary to
consolidate and expand its power. One path toward achieving such a
state is dividing up populations into legitimate vs. illegitimate ones
– into legal ones vs. illegal ones.
Truly, outside of fringe elements, including racial supremacists, it
is doubtful that this is what even immigration restrictionists had in
mind. Given a choice, and I've had enough conversations to know this,
that most people do not want to live in such a society because under
such a scheme, categories of illegitimate and illegal populations will
invariably grow. Yet, it is not too late. Given a choice, I am still
confident that it is a future that most Americans –– including the Lou
Dobbs' of the world – will reject. What most people want, I presume,
is a solution, not a police state. What most people want, I believe,
is a narrative of freedom.
Rodriguez, PhD, can be reached at: XColumn@gmail.com
Censored News Special Edition
- ► 2011 (70)
- ► 2010 (247)
- ► 2009 (91)
- Border Action Network interview, Border Patrol mur...
- Audio: Isabel Garcia: US Border Patrol acts with i...
- Racists yell at family of migrant murdered by Bord...
- Border Patrol agent murder migrant, audio descript...
- Interview: US Border Patrol murders migrant, Spani...
- Indigenousfest in Kayenta on the Navajo Nation Nov...
- Debunking the myth of an economic boom from uraniu...
- Army plans to seize 7 million acres in southeast C...
- Russell Means files election objection with Oglala...
- GEO/Wackenhut charged in prison murder in Texas
- Mohawk Nation News: The Snake at the Door
- Choctaw Ben Carnes serving as coordinator for Leon...
- Denver police action: The bizarre lentil caper
- Mohawk Nation News: 'Trick or Jay Treaty?'
- Flood relief for Jumano Apache on Texas/Mexico bor...
- Roberto Rodriguez: A Big Brother Migrant Solution
- The Disappeared: 589 Honduran migrants
- Joanne Shenandoah in Seattle Oct. 2008
- Signatures needed for migrant and human rights for...
- Red Bear Circle Native Gathering at Bakersfield, C...
- Nahuacalli organizes human rights support for Cauc...
- El Paso: Remembering the dead along the border
- Slick McCain's genocide plan for Navajos
- Protest of US torture training at Fort Huachuca in...
- Wikinews: Bush deploys military in US to control s...
- Canada's 'Three Monkeys Defence' for brutal border...
- Alcatraz Sunrise Gathering, Long Walker photos 200...
- Blackfire and Native Roots Top NAMMY winners
- Mohawk Nation News: The Capitalist Party is Over!
- Call for help! Algonquins at Barriere Lake in Queb...
- In the Spirit of Big Mountain at Alcatraz Island: ...
- David Morgan: 'Fear favors false safety over freed...
- Leonard Peltier: 'I will be moved soon'
- Active duty Army brigade prepared to patrol US str...
- International Indigenous Solidarity, Australia, Oc...
- Stop the Raids Now!
- US created monsters: Zetas and Kaibiles
- Cauca in Colombia protest free trade and Bush-back...
- Tule Elk State Reserve 'Walk for Life' 2008
- Army brigade now in US for 'crowd control'
- Grassroots leaders in Guatemala for Americas Socia...
- Deadly immigration polices: 183 bodies on the bord...
- Ben Carnes: 'What have you done for Leonard Peltie...
- Alcatraz Sunrise Gathering Oct. 13, 2008
- Intertribal Gathering & Elders Dinner California 2...
- Four Directions March Denver 2008 Poster
- Resist Columbus Day in Denver 2008
- The actual owners of the Federal Reserve USA
- An Eagle named Consuelo
- Tohono O'odham family struggling to survive plans ...
- While the Bush regime pillages, the people march a...
- Southwest Weekend to End Torture, November 15-16, ...
- Mohawk Nation News: Intelligence, love and victimi...
- Navajo Wanda MacDonald: McCain is anti-Native
- Carter Camp: Ahmbaska's condition improving
- Under surveillance: El Paso protest of border wall...
- Prison company with highest sex abuse rate has exe...
- Comments: Bailout the People
- Caravan of support to Big Mountain 2008
- ▼ October (59)
Censored News Homepage
About Censored News
Censored News is published by censored journalist Brenda Norrell. A journalist for 27 years, Brenda lived on the Navajo Nation for 18 years, writing for Navajo Times, AP, USA Today, Lakota Times and other American Indian publications. After being censored and then terminated by Indian Country Today in 2006, she began the Censored Blog to document the most censored issues. She currently serves as human rights editor for the U.N. OBSERVER & International Report at the Hague and contributor to Sri Lanka Guardian, Narco News and CounterPunch. She was cohost of the 5-month Longest Walk Talk Radio across America, with Earthcycles Producer Govinda Dalton in 2008: www.earthcycles.net/
COPYRIGHTS All material is copyrighted by the author or photographer. Please contact each contributor for reprint permission. firstname.lastname@example.org
Audios may not be sold or used for commercial purposes.
"O FRIEND! In the garden of thy heart plant naught but the rose of love, and from the nightingale of affection and desire loosen not thy hold." --Baha'u'llah, Baha'i Faith