PRESS CONFERENCE at D-Q University
Attention members of all print and broadcast media:
On November 18, 2008, at 9:00 a.m., (Tuesday) at D-Q University, 33250 County Road 31, Davis, we will be holding a press conference to discuss the irrational actions that the illegitimate Board of Trustees of D-Q University have taken against the occupiers of D-Q U.
We will also speak out against the violence, racism, and sexist harassment that their goons have directed towards members of the D-Q Unity Coalition.
Nov. 13, 2008, Margaret Hoaglen (Ex-Secretary of D-Q U), and her family, as well as her illegal Board of Trustees (BOT) arrived to D-Q U claiming that they were going to have a site committee meeting on campus. Because of previous threats and now racist name calling, the D-Q Unity Coalition who are the recognized occupiers of the campus, did not want to allow them access in. Ira Hoaglan and others claimed that this was to be a peaceful meeting. Upon entry, 2 white cargo vans, a red Expedition, and other vehicles then stormed into the campus to break into the administration building. They sawed the locks and stole administration computers and many of the files that were inside the building.
During this, Margret Hoaglen’s Daughter, Iris Hoaglan, elbowed an elderly woman in the back. Our elder was at D-Q to show support for the people who are occupying it. Aftaerward, well as later spitting at Lupita Torres (Secretary of Associated Student Body of DQU). Iris later attacked Consuela Vargas, Pit River (Vice Chair of D-Q Unity), for filming their actions. Iris tried to take away the camera Consuela was holding. During the struggle Iris knocked the camera out of Consuela’s hand breaking the camera and Consuela’s finger. Iris Hoaglen’s act of violence impeded further filming of their illegal actions.
While all of the chaos was continued, the illegal “BOT” just watched; they said and did nothing to stop their goons. Instead they joined in on the verbal assault against the D-Q Unity Coalition, referring to our people as “WETBACKS“, “SPICKS” and “HONKEY’S”, even though the majority of people there are Native.
The men also continued to make sexist remarks towards the women, both sexual, as well as chauvinistic, saying things like, “Know your place” and “You women need to be in the kitchen making me dinner.”
These illegal, self-appointed representatives of D-Q University continuously bring hatred and violence to the campus. The community needs to hold them accountable for their hateful, aggressive and disruptive actions which are unfavorable to the continuity and rebuilding of the unity needed to foster this institution of learning.
D-Q University and D-Q Unity Coalition Demands
1. We Demand that racism on all ends must stop now. D-Q U since its inception has always stood for unity between all nations. D-Q U has always represented both the Eagle and the Condor (North and South natives of the continent.
2. We Demand that all forms of Harassment both physical and verbal, as well as threats and acts of violence by the illegal Board of Trustees( Margaret Hoaglen’s board) towards the D-Q Unity Coalition must end. Legal action needs to be taken.
3. We Demand that all Organizations involved with the illegal Board stop further assistance to any work . regarding D-Q University. i.e. Inter Tribal Council of California, CIMC, Hertz, NCRS, Yolo County . . Sheriff Department, and Shirley Lincoln, as well as Jane Elliot of the Bureau of Indian Affairs and. Cache Creek Casino.
for more information, contact:
Steve Jerome-Wyatt, President (530) 400-7642
Consuela Vargas, Vice President (916) 534-3856
Steven Payan, Financial Coordinator (530) 723-8145
Onyi Ibeabuchi, Minister of History (408) 841-2019
Censored News Special Edition
- ► 2011 (70)
- ► 2010 (247)
- ► 2009 (91)
- Black Mesa Caravan, Harry's reflections on herding...
- Shoshone grandmothers to Barrick Gold 'This is Tre...
- Private prison abuse: Hold GEO accountable
- Listen: Shellmound Walker interview, while walking...
- Listen: Morning Star, Shellmound Walkers
- Audio Morning Star, Shellmound protest Nov. 28, 20...
- Listen to Clyde Bellecourt on Alcatraz 2008
- Dooda Desert Rock's message to Obama on coal minin...
- Yoeme Fundraiser for Rio Yaqui Children
- Human rights concerns over Napolitano pick for Hom...
- Leonard Peltier Turtle Mountain Gift Drive
- Cynthia McKinney prevented from leaving US for Syr...
- Black Mesa Water Conference April 2009
- Algonquins of Barriere Lake briefing package
- Les Algonquins du Lac Barrière organisent un autre...
- Algonquins of Barriere Lake: Taking a Sovereign St...
- IEN Conference: Mining impacts in Western Great La...
- Mohawks: Border police cause elderly deaths
- More death threats: A border press emergency
- Swinomish: Donations rolling in for Pine Ridge and...
- D-Q University Press Conference, Nov. 18, 2008
- Three halted at Fort Huachuca torture protest
- Russell Means: Twelfth Day of Snow Emergency
- Australia: Calling for a new national dialogue wit...
- Rosebud and Pine Ridge still in need of emergency ...
- Sonoma harvest and the healthiest foods in the wor...
- Native American Heritage Month: Sharing in Michiga...
- Pine Ridge blizzard emergency, 11 days later
- Pine Ridge blizzard update relief, Nov. 14, 2008
- Shellmound and Peacewalkers dinner with Winona LaD...
- NAMAPAHH Radio: Pine Ridge and Rosebud blizzard re...
- Red Heart, Red Land, Red People at Oklahoma Capito...
- Defenders of Land challenge Harper's Canada
- Navajo Water Rights: Truths and Betrayals
- Border Wall Summit, Dec. 2 -- 3, 2008, El Paso
- Incredible Records, collage
- Canada to Mohawks: 'We are only pretending to bomb...
- Incredible Records store, audio six
- Incredible Record store, audio five
- Incredible Records store, audio four
- Incredible Records store, audio three
- Incredible Record store, audio two
- Incredible Record store, audio one
- Oaxaca: Truth in media
- Calendar Intertribal Friendship House, Oakland, No...
- Calendar Intertribal Friendship House, Oakland, No...
- Amnesty International to Canada: Excessive force a...
- Winona LaDuke's home burns to the ground
- Visit El Paso Wetlands, before it is too late
- Tribute to Floyd Westerman, San Francisco 2008
- Mohawks: Spies for foreign powers forfeit birthrig...
- Tony Gonzales, AIM West, El Salvador elections
- Tony Gonzales: Welcome, AIM West 40th Anniversary
- Audio Mark: Welcome 40th Anniversary AIM West
- Audio Peggy: 40th Anniversary AIM West
- NDN News: Blizzard in South Dakota
- NAMMYs broadcast on MHZ Nov. 8, 2008
- Oglala Commemoration Committee: Traveling exhibit ...
- Red Nation Film Festival 2008
- What private prison corp GEO/Wackenhut doesn't wan...
- Mexico: The Joy and Sorrow of November 4, 2008
- Long Walkers, more photos by Janice Trytten
- Public hearing on rail transport to Yucca Mountain...
- Looking into the face, a murdered migrant youth
- 'No More Torture' events, Flagstaff, Nov. 4 -- 16,...
- Mohawks: When cops become thugs, non-lethal weapon...
- Audio: Justice and the sanctuary movement, remembe...
- Audio: Walking for migrants to San Xavier
- Audio: Walkers remember migrants at San Xavier
- Listen columnist Roberto Rodriguez walking for the...
- Listen Kat Rodriguez walking for the dead on the b...
- ▼ November (71)
Censored News Homepage
About Censored News
Censored News is published by censored journalist Brenda Norrell. A journalist for 27 years, Brenda lived on the Navajo Nation for 18 years, writing for Navajo Times, AP, USA Today, Lakota Times and other American Indian publications. After being censored and then terminated by Indian Country Today in 2006, she began the Censored Blog to document the most censored issues. She currently serves as human rights editor for the U.N. OBSERVER & International Report at the Hague and contributor to Sri Lanka Guardian, Narco News and CounterPunch. She was cohost of the 5-month Longest Walk Talk Radio across America, with Earthcycles Producer Govinda Dalton in 2008: www.earthcycles.net/
COPYRIGHTS All material is copyrighted by the author or photographer. Please contact each contributor for reprint permission. firstname.lastname@example.org
Audios may not be sold or used for commercial purposes.
"O FRIEND! In the garden of thy heart plant naught but the rose of love, and from the nightingale of affection and desire loosen not thy hold." --Baha'u'llah, Baha'i Faith