On Wednesday afternoon, areas of Western South Dakota were slammed with a major blizzard that lasted thru Thursday. The storm left thousands of people stranded and without power and heating. Winds were clocked at 105 miles per hour in some areas and remained at 60-80 mph throughout the 24 hour period. Areas of the Black Hills had snow drifts of over 20 feet in some areas. Record amounts of snowfall for one day, fell in the Hills. Temperatures with the wind chill were just above zero. Many of the rez's were also hit hard including Pine Ridge, Rosebud, Cheyenne River and no word about Standing Rock, or others further east as of yet. There are still hundreds of people on the rez's without power and heating and many roads still un-plowed. The frustrating part is, the media gave us no warnings in the days prior, about this blizzard. They kept referring to 2-3 inches of snow on Thursday, nothing about a blizzard until it was already upon us and to late. This left people completely unprepared for what was to come. With the proper warning, folks could have gotten out of the countryside and into town until it was over. My power was out for almost three days, my house was 45 degrees. Luckily enough in my case, power was restored this morning. However, there are elders and folks with small children on the rez's that endured this cold and still are. Some elderly that are on oxygen and/or dialysis, were having to go without because of no power and no way to travel. During the three days of being stranded, I sat and listened to the radio and was disgusted about the lack of coverage on what was happening in the countryside. Everything seemed to focus on Rapid City, it was like we didn't exist. The lack of coverage prior to the storm and lack of coverage afterwards was unacceptable. The Rapid City Journal posted a article about the blizzard warring, after it had already started to hit us. I have spoken to many locals in the area that are just appalled by the lack of info provided, prior to the storm. I called one of the radio stations and expressed my frustration...lol... I was told, they felt they covered it as thoroughly as they could, they were not meteorologists, to predict the weather. My response was, if a major blizzard was headed right at us, they should have been covering it at every break, to warn folks. They took my suggestions and said they would pass it along to all their sister stations. They didn't seem to concerned, honestly. Great mentality for who we rely on to get this critical info out to the public! So, it's not going to end here, I am going to write a op-ed and submit it to the media and see what their response is. Over the past few days, I have been communicating with my dear friend Stephanie Schwartz from Link Center Foundation, about what was transpiring here, or not transpiring I should say! She has been working non stop getting help for the rez's, contacting every agency possible for assistance. I am including her update below about what is currently being done at the moment. Governor Rounds declared South Dakota a state of emergency, so things are finally moving forward with assistance. There is going to be a urgent need for heating assistance on the rez's this year! This is just the beginning of what is ahead for this winter, its still technically fall and we have just been hit with one of the worst storms in years.
If you are able to assist in anyway no matter how small, please consider making a donation to Link Center Foundation for their heating assistance program. Their website is www.linkcenterfoundation.org .
There is also a section on my website www.NDNnews.com for our Helping the ReZ program, two years ago I initiated a ink cartridge recycling program, which the proceeds all go directly to LCF for heating assistance.
Please take a look at that page on my website, for further details on how to participate in that project. It does not cost you a dime, just your time to collect the ink cartridges. It is a great and easy opportunity to be able to assist. It sounds like this storm is headed east, so heads up out there folks! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact myself or Steph.
Thank you in advance, for your help! In peace & solidarity,
www.protectbearbutte.com PROTECT BEAR BUTTE! "Providing news and information about Native American Issues & Causes"
"Helping to make a difference for our people in Indian Country, one day at a time. What will you do today to help make a difference?"
"Our sacred lands are all that remain keeping us connected to our place on Mother Earth, to our spirituality, our heritage and our lands; what's left of them. If they take it all away, what will remain except a vague memory of a past so forgotten?"
Censored News Special Edition
- ► 2011 (70)
- ► 2010 (247)
- ► 2009 (91)
- Black Mesa Caravan, Harry's reflections on herding...
- Shoshone grandmothers to Barrick Gold 'This is Tre...
- Private prison abuse: Hold GEO accountable
- Listen: Shellmound Walker interview, while walking...
- Listen: Morning Star, Shellmound Walkers
- Audio Morning Star, Shellmound protest Nov. 28, 2008
- Listen to Clyde Bellecourt on Alcatraz 2008
- Dooda Desert Rock's message to Obama on coal minin...
- Yoeme Fundraiser for Rio Yaqui Children
- Human rights concerns over Napolitano pick for Hom...
- Leonard Peltier Turtle Mountain Gift Drive
- Cynthia McKinney prevented from leaving US for Syria
- Black Mesa Water Conference April 2009
- Algonquins of Barriere Lake briefing package
- Les Algonquins du Lac Barrière organisent un autre...
- Algonquins of Barriere Lake: Taking a Sovereign Stand
- IEN Conference: Mining impacts in Western Great La...
- Mohawks: Border police cause elderly deaths
- More death threats: A border press emergency
- Swinomish: Donations rolling in for Pine Ridge and...
- D-Q University Press Conference, Nov. 18, 2008
- Three halted at Fort Huachuca torture protest
- Russell Means: Twelfth Day of Snow Emergency
- Australia: Calling for a new national dialogue wit...
- Rosebud and Pine Ridge still in need of emergency ...
- Sonoma harvest and the healthiest foods in the world
- Native American Heritage Month: Sharing in Michigan
- Pine Ridge blizzard emergency, 11 days later
- Pine Ridge blizzard update relief, Nov. 14, 2008
- Shellmound and Peacewalkers dinner with Winona LaDuke
- NAMAPAHH Radio: Pine Ridge and Rosebud blizzard re...
- Red Heart, Red Land, Red People at Oklahoma Capitol
- Defenders of Land challenge Harper's Canada
- Navajo Water Rights: Truths and Betrayals
- Border Wall Summit, Dec. 2 -- 3, 2008, El Paso
- Incredible Records, collage
- Canada to Mohawks: 'We are only pretending to bomb...
- Incredible Records store, audio six
- Incredible Record store, audio five
- Incredible Records store, audio four
- Incredible Records store, audio three
- Incredible Record store, audio two
- Incredible Record store, audio one
- Oaxaca: Truth in media
- Calendar Intertribal Friendship House, Oakland, No...
- Calendar Intertribal Friendship House, Oakland, No...
- Amnesty International to Canada: Excessive force a...
- Winona LaDuke's home burns to the ground
- Visit El Paso Wetlands, before it is too late
- Tribute to Floyd Westerman, San Francisco 2008
- Mohawks: Spies for foreign powers forfeit birthright
- Tony Gonzales, AIM West, El Salvador elections
- Tony Gonzales: Welcome, AIM West 40th Anniversary
- Audio Mark: Welcome 40th Anniversary AIM West
- Audio Peggy: 40th Anniversary AIM West
- NDN News: Blizzard in South Dakota
- NAMMYs broadcast on MHZ Nov. 8, 2008
- Oglala Commemoration Committee: Traveling exhibit ...
- Red Nation Film Festival 2008
- What private prison corp GEO/Wackenhut doesn't wan...
- Mexico: The Joy and Sorrow of November 4, 2008
- Long Walkers, more photos by Janice Trytten
- Public hearing on rail transport to Yucca Mountain
- Looking into the face, a murdered migrant youth
- 'No More Torture' events, Flagstaff, Nov. 4 -- 16,...
- Mohawks: When cops become thugs, non-lethal weapons
- Audio: Justice and the sanctuary movement, remembe...
- Audio: Walking for migrants to San Xavier
- Audio: Walkers remember migrants at San Xavier
- Listen columnist Roberto Rodriguez walking for the...
- Listen Kat Rodriguez walking for the dead on the b...
- ▼ November (71)
Censored News Blog Radio
Donate to Censored News
. Censored News is free of advertising and has no sponsors.
Censored News Homepage
About Censored News
Censored News is published by censored journalist Brenda Norrell. A journalist for 27 years, Brenda lived on the Navajo Nation for 18 years, writing for Navajo Times, AP, USA Today, Lakota Times and other American Indian publications. After being censored and then terminated by Indian Country Today in 2006, she began the Censored Blog to document the most censored issues. She currently serves as human rights editor for the U.N. OBSERVER & International Report at the Hague and contributor to Sri Lanka Guardian, Narco News and CounterPunch. She was cohost of the 5-month Longest Walk Talk Radio across America, with Earthcycles Producer Govinda Dalton in 2008: www.earthcycles.net/
COPYRIGHTS All material is copyrighted by the author or photographer. Please contact each contributor for reprint permission. email@example.com
Audios may not be sold or used for commercial purposes.
"O FRIEND! In the garden of thy heart plant naught but the rose of love, and from the nightingale of affection and desire loosen not thy hold." --Baha'u'llah, Baha'i Faith