12/03/08, Wednesday, on American Indian Airwaves
"Western Shoshone Under Siege and Indigenous Family "Threatened & Harassed" over Thanksgiving"
Elder Carrie Dann (Western Shoshone Nation), Western Shoshone Defense Project (http://www.wsdp.org ), joins us for the first segment of today's show to discuss Barrack Gold Company, the worlds largest gold mining company, Cortez Hills Expansion Project. The project, recently approved by the Bureau of Land Management, and one of the largest open pit cyanide heap leach gold mines in the United States, sits on the flank of Mount Tenabo – an area well-known for its spiritual, cultural importance, and sacred site to the Western Shoshone Nation. Carrie provides us an update, plus more .
Dr. Michelle Rehaja (Seneca Nation), Assistant Professor at University of California, Riverside, joins us to discuss in length the recent Claremont, CA debacle heavily misreported in the corporate mass media over the past week. After Claremont, CA parents heard on a popular southern California morning talk show that a 40-year old tradition between two local elementary schools, where each schools kindergarten students dressed up as either 'pilgrims' and or Indians', was going to be cancelled or modified, many Claremont, CA parents reacted in protest at the event, made and continued personal threats and harassment against the indigenous mother and her five-year old daughter who refused to dress up as an 'Indian." Michelle provides listeners with a comprehensive narrative of what actually transpired, who really protested, the plethora of hate speech directed at her and her family, and what people can do to help remedy the situation.
American Indian Airwaves regularly broadcast every Wednesday from 3pm to 4pm (PCT) on KPFK FM 90.7 in Los Angles, FM 98.7 in Santa Barbara, and by Internet with Real Media Player, Winamp, & Itunes at http ://www.kpfk.org , and American Indian Airwaves now broadcast every Saturday from 3pm to 4pm (ECT) on WCRS 98.3/102.1 in Columbus, OH. Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/aiairwaves
SPECIAL NOTICE: weekly shows can now be heard on the KPFK web site ( http://www.kpfk.org ) under "audio archives" located on the left. Scroll down and click on American Indian Airwaves.
Censored News Special Edition
- ► 2011 (70)
- ► 2010 (247)
- ► 2009 (91)
- Cythia McKinney's account of attack on Free Gaza s...
- Roberto Rodriquez: America's Soul Sickeness
- US Protest Schedule of Israeli Massacre in Palesti...
- Cynthia McKinney and Sami al-Haj enroute to Gaza
- Stop the Massacre of Palestines! Emergency Protest...
- Lipan Apache Letter to Obama: Stop Border Wall
- LINK Collaboration Brings Hope on Pine Ridge
- NAMAPAHH Radio: Pine Ridge emergency relief
- Free Tibet Concert Anchorage Jan. 10, 2009
- Petros: US pathetic in area of human rights
- Southern California: Native American children need...
- Business as Usual: Navajo spin machine pushes powe...
- DQ Students: 'Board' eats high on hog while studen...
- Roberto Rodriguez: Why Bush Will Walk
- Ken Salazar, Obama's disappointing choice for Secr...
- Blackfire 'Overwhelming' video
- Jefferey Barns Gospel Baha'i Choir LA tonight
- Australian Human Rights Medal Les Malezer 2008
- Best of Longest Walk Radio: First in a series
- Petros: Open Insurrecton -- Greece
- Poo-Ha-Bah Healing Center appeals for funds for ro...
- Juge emprisonne Chef Algonquin, Decembre 2008
- Censored blog radio: Navajo and Hopi protest Peabo...
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights turns 60
- Native American Music Awards collecting toys for R...
- Black Mesa Panel Denver
- Canadian Chiefs to deliver message to Obama: Oil a...
- Rodriquez: 'Obama's Journey: Bring Down the Walls!...
- Western Shoshone testimony: No nuclear transport o...
- Lannan Cultural Freedom Awards recognize border he...
- Bear Butte: Liquor licenses renewed violating sacr...
- Lakota win standing in Cameco nuclear fight
- Black Mesa under attack from Peabody Coal
- Indigenous Black Mesa supply delivery, Dec. 2008
- El Paso elected leader to Obama: No Border Wall
- El Paso elected leader to Obama: No Border Wall
- Carrie Dann on American Indian Airwaves Wed., Dec....
- ▼ December (37)
Censored News Homepage
About Censored News
Censored News is published by censored journalist Brenda Norrell. A journalist for 27 years, Brenda lived on the Navajo Nation for 18 years, writing for Navajo Times, AP, USA Today, Lakota Times and other American Indian publications. After being censored and then terminated by Indian Country Today in 2006, she began the Censored Blog to document the most censored issues. She currently serves as human rights editor for the U.N. OBSERVER & International Report at the Hague and contributor to Sri Lanka Guardian, Narco News and CounterPunch. She was cohost of the 5-month Longest Walk Talk Radio across America, with Earthcycles Producer Govinda Dalton in 2008: www.earthcycles.net/
COPYRIGHTS All material is copyrighted by the author or photographer. Please contact each contributor for reprint permission. email@example.com
Audios may not be sold or used for commercial purposes.
"O FRIEND! In the garden of thy heart plant naught but the rose of love, and from the nightingale of affection and desire loosen not thy hold." --Baha'u'llah, Baha'i Faith